Sunday, December 13, 2009

THE SIGHTS AND SOUNDS OF THE SEASON






We are in full swing into the holiday season. The first picture above is of my Nativity on the fireplace mantle in my home office. When I look at it, it reminds me of the sacred Christmas songs. Last night my church hosted a Christmas Concert. I am so sorry that I forgot to take my camera with me because it is hard to describe how visually beautiful everything was. The lights and decor were stunning. There was also a living Nativity scene. But the most beautiful thing of all was hearing the sacred Christmas tunes that rang out the good news of our Savior's birth.

We've heard the old favorite Christmas songs every year since we were children and we can sometimes become jaded to the meaning of the words. I'm not talking about Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Jingle Bells or Sleigh Ride, although I enjoy these songs too. I'm talking about the tried and true songs that bring messages of hope and the promise of salvation. Take some time this holdiay season to actually listen to the words of the messages in the Christmas Songs and allow them touch your heart. Some of the favorites are:

1. Joy to the World

2. Away in a Manger

3. Oh Little Town of Bethlehem

4. Mary Did You Know

5. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear

There are just so many that I could be here all day making a list. Do you have any favorite sounds of the season? I'm sure that you have your own list floating through your head. So pull out your CD player, put on some holiday tunes, sip a warm cup of hot chocolate, sit by the fireplace and enjoy the sights and sounds of the season.

Stay tuned this week. I am inspired by a picture I saw on the front cover of a book by Salley Mavor titled Felt Wee Folk. I will be posting pics of my first attempt at creating Felt Miniatures. Uh Oh! (hides and covers eyes) LOL