Wednesday, November 4, 2009

SCENTS OF THE SEASON





I've had my head in the books lately (studying) but I just had to stop by the blog and share something delightful. The Holiday season is upon us and I wanted to yap about something that it sure to tickle one of your five senses. The sense of smell.

When I was a child, my Mom would create the most wonderful scents at Holiday time. She would core out apples and place any combination of cinnamon, nut meg, brown sugar or red hots in the center with a splash of 7up. She would bake these wonderful apples. Not only did they taste good but they made the whole house smell yummy. She would also take whole oranges, stick cloves into them and sit them near the furnace. The warmth from the furnace would release the beautiful scent all through the house. And lets not even mention the nose ticklers coming from the kitchen with all of the holiday meals cooking and baking going on. These scents bring back such fond memories.

Around this time of the year, I enjoy having my own home smell like the holiday scents that I remember from my childhood. I recently pulled out my beloved, well used potpourri burner. It looks like a teeny-tiny crock pot. I used to burn the potpourri liquids in it until I found these wonderful wax tartlets. Walmart sells the creamiest, most yummy smelling wax tarts that I have ever come upon. They have several Holiday scents. Warm Apple, Vanilla, Gingerbread, Pumpkin Spice and Mulled Cider just to name a few. My absolute favorite is the Pumpkin Spice. I love the way it makes the house smell like I am baking a pie and I also love the fact that since there really ISN'T a pie to eat, I can't pack on the extra calories. LOL