Thursday, March 4, 2010

FUN WITH FABRIC (part 1)






















I love making fabric rag dolls but I'm finding that there are so many things that can be done with fabric other than making dolls or clothing. I have always marched to the beat of my own drum when it comes to fashion but this year, the hottest fashion trend for spring and summer are accessories made from fabric and I just love them. I've admired them from afar because they have a feminine, romantic, vintage feel to them that is timeless and will outlast the current trend. They can be dressed up with a suit or dressed down by wearing them with jeans and a T-shirt. Even with jeans they are just so fun and feminine.

Now here's the problem for me..... Oscar de la Renta sells them for $990.00, Neiman Marcus sells them by the designer Ranjana Khan for around $880.00 and Vera Wang designs them for Saks Fifth Ave for $325.00. Um, I don't know about you, but I certainly won't be paying those prices for a bib necklace made from fabric. That being said, I've decided to design my own fabric necklaces that I will be wearing this spring, summer and beyond. You can too. I'm showing photos of two of them that I've completed so far. But If you have the crafting bug like I do and want to create your own, here's how to do it:












1. Cut a "V" shape or a "U" shape (your choice) from felt. This will be the base of your necklace.












2. Cut about 7, 1 1/2 inch wide strips from vintage fabric or any fabric that you like.












3. Twist the fabric strips and then roll them into a rosettes. Once rolled, fasten the rosettes underneath (where it won't show) by sewing them or by using a bit of fabric glue. You don't want your rosettes to fall apart before fastening them to the necklace base.












4. Cut two strips of ribbon that serve as the chain of your necklace. Sew the ribbons to the edges of the "V" necklace base.












5. Now take your rosettes and fasten them to the felt "V" necklace base by sewing them or by using fabric glue.












6. Lastly, use your imagination. Embellish your necklace with pieces of lace, pearls, rhinestones, flowers or anything you like.












7. Enjoy wearing your creation that didn't cost $990.00. LOL